First Time Driver Course
All first time drivers in the State of Florida are required to take the Drug Alcohol Traffic Awareness (DATA) course before applying for their drivers license. You can take this 4 hour course online from the privacy of your home or office. When taking this course, you should learn about how alcohol and other drugs affect your ability to operate a motor vehicle, laws and responsibilities, safe driving techniques, and how to increase your awareness on our roadways. You will also have the option of taking your driver's license exam online after completing this course (If applicable).
Requirments To Take This Course:
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Must pass a vision, road signs and a rules of the road test
- Must have a signature of a parent or legal guardian if you are under 18 years of age
- Must successfully complete a Trafic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course
- Must have two forms of identification
- Must have a Social Security Number or a Green Card
The exam usually will include 20 questions on road rules and 20 road signs to identify. To pass you must get at least 15 road rules questions and 15 road signs correct. See the official Florida Driver's Handbook for additional requirements.
If eligible you can then take your state written test online after you complete your 4 hour first time drivers class. You will be charged by the DMV for your license.